Business

A Change in the Skyline - The Free Press turns 115 Years Old

July 30 1975

Free Press Files

Fire of unknown origin swept through the owner’s suite of the Michel Hotel early Wednesday morning causing undisclosed damage to rooms and to the dining room below.

Owner Paul Isakson, who was on the scene at the time of the blaze, which broke out at 1.10 a.m. refused comment on any phase of the fire.

Guests were roused from their sleep, and some spent a miserably cold night sleeping in cars outside the building which recently underwent extensive renovation.

Anne Smith, who was working behind the bar in the beer parlour when the fire broke out, said the place was packed, but when the alarm was sounded there was absolutely no panic, and the guests left without creating any problems.

A few minutes before the fire was spotted by Isakson, Jessica Davis, of Portland, Ore. had just completed her strip tease performance to a full house

For more great stories that ran in The Free Press in the past 115 years http://issuu.com/thefreepress/docs/115_the_free_press/1

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

WildSafeBC hosts their first open house
 
Newspaper industry, MMBC fall out over recycling fees
 
Local accepted into Okotoks Dawgs Baseball Academy
Planning department keeps busy
 
MacLeod takes on top chamber role
 
Cooperation and commitment by C of C
Shopping local in Nelson and simple math
 
Chambers meet to discuss Kootenay improvements
 
Room renovations underway at Hume Hotel

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.