First reactions to ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 5’ at CinemaCon

First reactions to 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' at CinemaCon

LAS VEGAS — The Walt Disney Studios unveiled the fifth installment in their “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise “Dead Men Tell No Tales” Tuesday night at CinemaCon in Las Vegas.

Initial reactions from those in attendance, including press, theatre owners and exhibitors, were largely positive, celebrating a return to form for the franchise and the well-done VFX. Official reviews are under embargo until May 22.

The swashbuckling film sees the return of Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow and Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa and introduces a new young cast including Brenton Thwaites and Kaya Scodelario. Javier Bardem plays a ghostly villain with a vengeance as they all search for the trident of Poseidon on the high seas. Orlando Bloom also returns as Will Sparrow, who hasn’t been in a “Pirates” film since 2007’s “At World’s End.”

“Dead Men Tell No Tales” is the first “Pirates” film since 2011’s “On Stranger Tides” and the first to be directed by Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg. To date, the franchise has grossed over $3.73 billion worldwide for the studio, and there is some pressure on this fifth film to continue the enormous successes of the previous films while also redeeming its lagging reputation.

Gizmodo writer Germain Lussier wrote that “Dead Men Tell No Tales” was the best since the first, adding that, “while that isn’t saying much, it does occasionally capture that magic.”

Collider.com editor in chief Steven Weintraub praised the action set pieces and said it was better than the fourth.

Slashfilm.com editor Peter Sciretta called it a “pleasant surprise.”

“Continues the legacy, focuses on the characters and the world,” Sciretta wrote.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” hits theatres on May 26.

Lindsey Bahr, The Associated Press

Just Posted

Fernie in last stages of cleanup from damages caused by ammonia leak

Community memorial service in the works for 3 victims of Fernie Memorial Arena ammonia leak

Evacuation order rescinded

Residents of nearby homes able to return after six days

WATCH: Steps being made to extract ammonia, say experts

City workers and family members spoke to media today

Evacuation remains in effect for residents near arena

Community pulling together to help those who have been out of their homes for over three days

UPDATED: Hydro lines down near Moyie

Hydro lines affecting traffic on Highway 3 south of Moyie.

VIDEO: Sears liquidation sales continue across B.C.

Sales are expected to continue into the New Year

B.C. casino accused of illegal activity follows rules: operator

B.C. had launched review after concerns about money laundering at River Rock casino in Richmond

Opponents of LGBTQ program to file human rights complaint against Surrey School District

District denied Parents United Canada right to rent Bell Performing Arts Centre for rally next month

Ex-employee describes alleged sexual assault by B.C. city councillor

Complainant was a teen during the alleged 1992 incident

Amazon gets 238 proposals for 2nd headquarters

Submissions were due last week. Online retailer has said tax breaks and grants would be factors

Justin Timberlake invited back to Super Bowl halftime show

A ‘wardrobe malfunction’ with Janet Jackson caused a national controversy during his last appearance

A scary box office weekend for everyone but Tyler Perry

‘Boo 2! A Madea Halloween’ scared up a healthy $21.7 million in its first weekend in theatres

Even as long-form census data returns, Statcan readies for day without it

Wednesday’s release is expected to show immigrants making up a larger share of the population

B.C. VIEWS: Horgan fumbles salmon farm threat

Lana Popham falls for anti-aquaculture propaganda

Most Read