News

Young couples’ trailer destroyed in fire In the Elk Valley

 

 

A young couple lost all their possessions in a fire that destroyed their trailer in Morrissey.

Shonna Joinson and Ed Kiley were inside their rented trailer on Sunday evening when they heard their goats outside making a fuss. The pair went out to investigate and then noticed there was smoke coming out of their trailer.

When they went back in to investigate, the fire was already out of control.

Shonna went back inside the trailer to rescue the couple’s dog and two cats, and as a result suffered smoke inhalation and had to get treatment at the hospital.

Shonna’s Mom, Louise Joinson, told The Free Press the couple lost everything they had.

“Everything is gone, from old photo albums, to the microwave. They need everything and I am pleading with people to help them out. They need a bed, they need clothes, towels, pots and pans, everything.”

The couple are currently staying at the Super 8 in Fernie while they try to find an apartment.

They believe faulty wiring to the water pump may have caused the fire.

Anyone with anything they can donate to the couple should call Louise at 250 430 2828.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Legal aid gets rare boost for family cases
 
W for Fernie in 2014-15 season home opener
 
Shaving heads and eating pies for cancer research
Race for city council seats opens
 
Wood WORKS! honours select municipalities
 
Buy a paper and promote literacy throughout the region

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.