- 2015 Federal Election
Heritage Cemetery Report
The Fernie Heritage Cemetery Restoration Society has continued to reach its goals with the help of the work of its members and volunteers and community support. During the summer and early fall, the society was able to do grounds work. The work consisted of the following:
- Cleaning and repairing 485 concrete bases in Section D
- Continuing the research and data entries of internees
- Updating a paper copy of data for Sections A, B, C, and D
The society is pleased to announce that in 2011, the Last Post Fund of the Department of Veteran Affairs funded two headstones. The society installed the headstones in the spring of 2012. The Last Post Fund has approved the funding of two more headstones. They will be installed in 2013. To date the total headstones funded by Last Post for unmarked graves of eligible veterans is 28.
The society is continuing to supply data to Last Post Fund in order to obtain headstones for eight remaining World War I veterans. The cemetery also has unmarked grave sites for three veterans of the Allied Forces and five veterans of the Boer War; As the Last Post Fund does not fund headstones for these veterans, the society wants to secure another means of funding so that these veterans may have proper headstones to honour them.
The accomplishments of the society this year is due in part to the support of the public and the partnership and funding with the following organisations:
- Columbia Kootenay Cultural Alliance.
- Community Initiatives (City of Fernie and RDEK, Area A)
- The City of Fernie
- Teck Coal
The goals of the society for the year 2012-2013 are as follows:
- To continue to update the website.
- To clean, to straighten, and to repair headstones in Section D.
- To clean concrete bases of monuments in Section C.
- To obtain headstones for the eight remaining World War I veterans.
- To secure funding for headstones for the veterans of the Allied Forces and the Boer War who have unmarked graves.
The Society urges you to visit the Heritage Cemetery and to view its web site: www.fernieheritagecemetery.com. The society also welcomes you to contact its executive members: Len Kosiec, President (250-423-6091), Webmaster, Patrick Burke 250-423-3091) or by mail, FHCRS, P. O. Box 1275, Fernie, B. C. V0B 1M0.