- BC Games
Dining room damaged - The Free Press Turns 115 Years Old
July 30 1975
Free Press Files
Fire of unknown origin swept through the owner’s suite of the Michel Hotel early Wednesday morning causing undisclosed damage to rooms and to the dining room below.
Owner Paul Isakson, who was on the scene at the time of the blaze, which broke out at 1.10 a.m. refused comment on any phase of the fire.
Guests were roused from their sleep, and some spent a miserably cold night sleeping in cars outside the building which recently underwent extensive renovation.
Anne Smith, who was working behind the bar in the beer parlour when the fire broke out, said the place was packed, but when the alarm was sounded there was absolutely no panic, and the guests left without creating any problems.
A few minutes before the fire was spotted by Isakson, Jessica Davis, of Portland, Ore. had just completed her strip tease performance to a full house
For more great stories that ran in The Free Press in the past 115 years http://issuu.com/thefreepress/docs/115_the_free_press/1