- BC Games
Disaster Financial Assistance available for RDEK residents
Following flooding throughout the Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) in early March, Disaster Financial Assistance will be available for qualified residents and property owners unable to obtain insurance to cover flood related losses in Fernie, Cranbrook, Kimberley, Canal Flats, and St. Mary's Band.
The RDEK submitted an application for the assistance for overland flooding to Emergency Management BC (EMBC) which was approved by the province.
Full time residents, home owners, residential tenants, small business owners, farmers, charitable organizations, and local government bodies can fill out and submit claim forms for a portion of the cleanup costs related to the flooding that are not covered by insurance.
To submit a claim:
- Get a letter of claim denial from your insurance company.
- Download the DFA program guidelines and application form at embc.gov.bc.ca. Copies are also available at the RDEK offices in Cranbrook and the Columbia Valley.
- Document everything you possibly can related to your flooding. If photos were taken during the flooding, provide them. If photos were not taken during the flooding, but evidence of the damage is still visible (ex. water marks on drywall), take photos now and provide them.
- Keep receipts for any and all clean up costs related to the flooding and resulting damage and repairs. If you did not keep receipts, see if you can go back and get copies. Receipts are required to be reimbursed.
- Submit your application to EMBC. One they have received your application they will contact you and make arrangements for an onsite visit with an evaluator.
The deadline for applications is July 2. This is a provincial assistance program, separate from the RDEK, so for further information contact EMBC at 1-888-257-4777 or dfa.gov.bc.ca.