By Kathy Murray and Jutta Kolhi
• First bear destroyed this year in the Elk Valley on Morrissey Crescent after reports of it repeatedly getting into unsecured garbage throughout Elkford the past week. Please keep garbage stored indoors. If you keep your property free of unsecured garbage, bears will just move on.
• Grizzly bears have been reported taking down deer and eating them near residences in Elkford.
• Daily sightings of a mother bear with cubs up on Highline Crescent and Highline Drive at Fernie Alpine Resort.
• Black bear seen on Ski Hill Road, by Timberline Crescent
• Frequent bear sightings by the base area of FAR and throughout the bike park
• Grizzly bears have been seen on Burma Road and by the barn on Coal Creek Road.
• A grizzly bear has been seen wandering around the railroad tracks near Sparwood.
Stop by our Bear Aware booth at Prentice Park in Fernie on Canada Day and in Elkford on July 2 at Wild Cat Days