Fernie’s anglican church was first built in 1899, a year after the Christ Church anglican parish was organized in 1898.
The first Reverend was Mr. Hadley in 1899, who was followed by Mr. Houghton in 1900.
Between 1901 and 1904, a son of the Bishop Dart and general manager of the Crow’s Nest Pass Coal Company provided church services as lay-readers.
The church was destroyed in 1904 by fire and the services were moved to Storks Opera House until a new church could be built.
The current site of the anglican church was purchased in 1905, and a beautiful wood-frame church was erected in 1905.
When the 1908 fire destroyed the church, the congregation immediately laid the foundations for a hall and the present church.
The hall was used for services until the new brick church was completed in 1910.
As part of the ceremonies in the building of the new church, Archdeacon FH Graham laid the foundation stone for the brick superstructure. The hollow of the stone contains a prayer and hymn book and a copy of the Holy Scriptures.