One of two Quebec teens in alleged murder plot declared not criminally responsible

Judge declares teen NCR in alleged murder plot

ST-HYACINTHE, Que. — One of two Quebec teens charged in an alleged murder plot to kill fellow classmates will not stand trial.

A youth court judge declared the older teen not criminally responsible by way of mental disorder during a hearing on Tuesday in St-Hyacinthe.

The Crown and defence presented a joint recommendation to that effect to the judge on Tuesday.

His co-accused in the case, aged 14, still faces several charges and will return to court in April.

The pair were charged with a variety of offences, including conspiracy to commit murder and conspiracy to commit sexual assault against classmates at Polyvalente Hyacinthe-Delorme high school, about 60 kilometres east of Montreal.

Provincial police had said at the time of the arrest that the evidence suggested the pair were on the verge of carrying out the plot.

The teen, who was 16 at the time of his arrest, will remain at a Montreal psychiatric hospital and will be evaluated by a provincial mental health review board.

Both boys had been detained since mid-September.

The mother of one of the accused came forward with vital information that foiled the alleged plot.

(Cogeco Nouvelles)

The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Canada wins gold in bobsleigh

Justin Kripps and Alexander Kopacz tied for first in two-man event at 2018 Winter Olympics

22 teams compete in Sweetheart Curling Bonspiel

From February 9 to 11, the Sparwood Curling Club hosted it’s annual… Continue reading

Political theatre shines light on womens issues

The Vagina Monologues returned to Fernie last weekend for the second time,… Continue reading

Local rink heading to curling provincials

The Mens Masters East-West playdown took place in Sparwood from February 2-4.… Continue reading

Kootenay East MLA reacts to Throne Speech

Tom Shypitka says speech falls short of intended mark.

REPLAY: B.C. this week in video

In case you missed it, here’s a look at replay-worthy highlights from across the province this week

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

VIDEO: Protesters rally for affordable housing ahead of B.C. budget

Residents call on province to keep locals housed

#Metoo movement causing confusion in many men, fear of missteps with women: experts

Being painted by the same sweeping brush as those alleged to have mistreated women has angered men

Liberals to dig deeper, aim higher on gender equality in 2018 federal budget

Finance Minister Bill Morneau said the budget would include measures to boost women in the workforce

Body of missing skier found

Man’s truck found in Revelstoke Mountain Resort’s parking lot covered in ‘several days’ snow’

B.C. VIEWS: Subsidy supercluster settles in B.C.

Ottawa, Victoria add to their overlapping ‘innovation’ budgets

OLYMPIC ROUNDUP: Canada’s first ever men’s ski slopestyle medal

Men’s hockey team beats South Korea and women’s curling reverses losing streak

Most Read