Canfor is mulling over the potential impacts of the provincial government’s recent old-growth forest preservation announcement.
On November 2, the B.C. government announced its intention to defer the harvests of old growth forest within some 2.6 million hectares of land.
In a Nov. 2 statement from the lumber company, Canfor, President and CEO Don Kayne said the announcement is “extremely concerning” for them.
“If fully implemented, it would have significant impacts on our hard-working employees and their families, along with our Indigenous partners, contractors, communities, and the entire industry.”
Canfor operates the mill at Elko, but in the immediate aftermath of the announcement from the provincial government, the company could not offer any specifics as to whether the Elko mill would be impacted.
“Our team has only recently received the deferral maps provided by government and are reviewing and analyzing the potential impacts for our mills,” said a spokesperson.
“Impacts will also depend on whether deferrals are fully implemented, which would be a real concern for us and for the many people and communities who rely on a strong, healthy and globally competitive forest sector.”
The Elko sawmill has seen deferrals earlier in 2021 as a result of the wildfire season, with the mills production curtailed for a week in July.