A chimney fire was extinguished by the Fernie Fire Department on Jan. 5.

Chimney fire on First Avenue

Early in the evening on Jan. 5, Fernie Fire Rescue responded to a chimney fire located at 321 First Avenue.

Early in the evening on Jan. 5, Fernie Fire Rescue responded to a chimney fire located at 321 First Avenue.

“Upon arrival smoke and flames were coming out of the top of the chimney,” said Ted Ruiter, Fernie Fire Rescue Chief.

The crews responded at 4 p.m. The department successfully subdued and extinguished the fire.

“Fire crews did an incident size-up and proceeded to extinguish. The fire was under control within approximately 15 minutes. No injuries or loss of property,” said Ruiter.

The residents are required to send an inspection report to the department within 30 days.

“The homeowners were present and are now required to have a proper chimney inspection completed by a Wood Energy Technical Training certified chimney sweep before the appliance can be used again,” said Ruiter.

The Fire Chief wants to remind everyone that almost all chimney fires are preventable and chimney inspections should be done by a qualified professional annually.

“Chimneys require annual inspection. Creosote is the leading cause of chimney fires. A chimney that is dirty, blocked or in disrepair can inhibit proper venting up the flue and also cause a chimney fire,” said Ruiter. “Nearly all residential fires in the chimney are preventable. An annual chimney inspection by a qualified chimney professional can prevent fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.”