Severe thunderstorm watch issued across Okanagan Valley. (File photo)

East Kootenay weather: rain, thunderstorms expected

Severe thunderstorm watch has been issued across the southern interior.

A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect across the southern interior today. The watch includes all of East Kootenay: north including Invermere and south including Cranbrook.

According to Environment Canada, conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing large hail and heavy rain.

An upper low pressure system over Vancouver Island will result in a southerly flow of moist, unstable air over the southern interior today, Environment Canada reports.

READ MORE: B.C. to be the ‘king of heat’ this summer: meteorologist

A few thunderstorms developing along the U.S. border near noon will move northward during the afternoon. There is the potential of an isolated severe thunderstorm giving rainfall amounts up to 20 mm, 2 cm hail and wind gusts to 70 km/h.

Intense lightning is likely with any thunderstorm that develops. Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads.

Today’s weather forecast: (Cranbrook and the surrounding area) Mainly cloudy with 30 per cent chance of showers this morning and 70 per cent chance of showers or thunderstorms this afternoon. Risk of a thunderstorm this morning. Risk of a severe thunderstorm this afternoon. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 23. Humidex 25. UV index 9 or very high.

Tonight: Mainly cloudy with 70 per cent chance of showers or thunderstorms. Risk of a severe thunderstorm this evening. Low 12.

Due to severe thunderstorm watch alert, a highway alert has also been issued for Highway 3 – Paulson Summit to Kootenay Pass. Drive safely.

Environment Canada is calling for a chance of showers again tomorrow.



corey.bullock@kimberleybulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Survivor of near-drowning in Elk Valley lake viewing life through new eyes

“If I died that day, the baby wouldn’t know his dad,” said 31-year-old Mariano Santander-Melo.

Cannabis stores in Fernie get green light, open in one month

Two cannabis stores in Fernie could be open for non-medical sales in… Continue reading

Annual Columbia Basin Culture tour coming up Aug 10 and 11

There are locations across the region participating

Structure fire near Elko quickly contained, spreading prevented

A quick response by local firefighters today prevented the spread of a… Continue reading

Stetski talks up NDP election platform

NDP candidate for Kootenay-Columbia riding outlines election ‘commitments’ to Canadian voters

Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman sentenced to life in prison

Experts say he will likely wind up at the federal government’s Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

‘Beyond the call’: Teen in police custody gets birthday surprise by B.C. Mountie

Unusual celebration started when Staff Sgt. Paul Vadik went to visit the teen in his Coquitlam cell

Thunderstorms forecast across B.C.

Environment Canada has issued a thunderstorm watch for B.C.’s central Interior

B.C. mom to go to Europe court in hopes of getting alleged abducted daughter back

Tasha Brown alleges her estranged wife abducted their daughter Kaydance Etchells in 2016

Driver who killed B.C. motorcyclist receives absolute discharge

Chase family speechless following decision by BC Review Board

Lower gas prices slow annual inflation rate to Bank of Canada’s 2% bull’s-eye

Prices showed strength in other areas — led by a 17.3 per cent increase in the cost of fresh vegetables

B.C. moves to preserve 54 of its biggest, oldest trees

Fir, cedar, spruce, pine, yew set aside from logging

Report of dead body in B.C. park actually headless sex doll

This discovery, made at Manning Park on July 10, led police to uncovering two other sex mannequins

Grand Forks fire chief found to have bullied, harassed volunteer firefighter: report

WorkSafeBC, third-party human resources investigation looking into allegations complete

Most Read