House fire on Mt. Trinity injures three people

The upper story of the two-story house was engulfed when firefighters arrived on scene at 11:15 pm.

Three people sustained injuries after a house fire broke out in the second story kitchen of a home on Mt. Trinity Avenue in the airport subdivision of Fernie late on Sunday

Two people are in serious condition with burns and smoke inhalation after a house fire on Mt. Trinity Avenue in Fernie last night.

Fernie Fire Rescue (FFR) received a call at 11:04 pm on Sunday, Oct. 6 of a house fire at 22 Mt. Trinity Avenue in Fernie.

The upper story of the two-story house was engulfed when firefighters arrived on scene at 11:15 pm. Three fire trucks and 10 fire fighters responded and had the fire contained by 11:48 pm. Elk Valley RCMP and the BC Ambulance Service were also on scene.

The fire is under investigation by the FFR but initial reports are as follows. Four renters, thought to be in their twenties, occupied the home with two guests when the fire started.

A man in his twenties had a pot of cooking oil heating on the stovetop to cook French fries. He left the kitchen for a minute or two when he heard a big pop come from the kitchen. The man attempted to extinguish the fire on the stove twice with a towel and then a blanket without success. He decided to alert everyone in the house, some who were sleeping.

The man went back into the house unsure if everyone was out of the building. As a result he sustained burns to his face and suffered from smoke inhalation. He was kept at the Elk Valley Hospital over night and was released on Monday.

Witnesses have reported that one woman jumped from the second story back bedroom window and was caught by a next-door neighbor before she hit the ground.

FFR have determined there was one smoke detector in the upper level of the house but it is undetermined whether it was functional.

“Ensure you have working smoke detectors on every level of your house,” said Fire Chief Ted Ruiter. “It’s early to say but the young man may not have had to have run back through the house waking people up to get them out.”

Two individuals are in serious condition from burns and smoke inhalation. They were transported to Calgary by STARS helicopter in the night.

FFR called BC Hydro and Fortis BC to turn off the electricity and gas to the home. The insurance company will arrive on Oct. 7 to do their investigation and to secure the site. Owners of the house are Fernie residents who are reportedly travelling in Ontario.

The second story of the house sustained the majority of the fire damage as the kitchen was on the second floor. The fire burned through the roof yet firefighters managed to protect an adjacent home approximately twenty feet away.

FFR would like to remind the public that it is Fire Prevention Awareness week. To see what you can do to protect your home, go to www.fiprecan.ca or visit the Fernie Fire Rescue station.

 

Just Posted

Proposed Hosmer intersection set to improve safety

A proposed intersection in Hosmer aims to improve the safety of those… Continue reading

Maiden Lake flood mitigations to be completed in full

The City of Fernie will forge ahead with all required flood mitigations… Continue reading

Fernie’s Kerri Wall hopes to represent Green Party in federal election

Nelson’s Abra Brynne and Kaslo’s Judson Hansel have also chosen to run

Sparwood council denies temporary worker camp application

In a unanimous decision on Tuesday night, the District of Sparwood denied… Continue reading

Teck responds to Senators’ letter to John Horgan

Teck Resources has responded to a story regarding eight U.S. senators who… Continue reading

Protesters rally in Victoria over newly approved Trans Mountain pipeline

The Still No Consent! No Trans Mountain! 20 kilometre march will end at Island View Beach

Canada Day fireworks cancelled in Fernie

Fireworks will not feature as part of Canada Day celebrations in Fernie… Continue reading

Wildfire burning in coastal forest

A fire beside the Sea to Sky Highway is burning up a steep slope

PHOTOS: Event marks one year since soccer team rescued from Thai cave

Nine players and coach took part in marathon and bike event to help improve conditions at cave

Rock climber dies after fall at Stawamus Chief in Squamish

The man had fallen about 30 metres while climbing in the Grand Wall area

Five B.C. students taken to hospital after playing with vaping device

School district said students were taken to hospital ‘out of an abundance of caution’

Being a pot dealer is not what it used to be

Sunday Big Read: the business of selling marijuana in B.C. is a slow bureaucratic slog

VIDEO: Two more pride flags have been stolen from Langley woman

Lisa Ebenal was “angry” and “fed up” after the latest theft. Then people started showing suppport

B.C. couple who has raised 58 children turns to community amid cancer diagnosis

Family who raised, fostered and adopted many kids hoping to gain some precious together time to fight cancer

Most Read