The B.C. Government has offered its support to the community of Fernie as the first anniversary of the arena tragedy approaches.
Minister of Labour Harry Bains emphasized that it is the people, not the events of October 17, 2017, that define Fernie.
“The same people that continue to grieve and support the families of Lloyd and Wayne, and reached out to the Podloski family in Calgary,” he said.
“These are the very same people whose grief and shock continue to this day, a year later, and who shoulder a collective heartache and disbelief that remains so close to the surface because they were friends, neighbours and colleagues.”
The incident has given Bains added motivation to make workplaces safer.
On behalf of the Province, he offered his support to Fernie residents on the first anniversary of the arena tragedy.
“The cost to this community, particularly the families of those that died that day, is what helps motivate me as Labour Minister to achieve my vision of B.C. becoming the safest jurisdiction for workplaces in all of Canada,” he said.
“Events like experienced here in Fernie last year serve as a stark reminder of the importance of that commitment and contribute to our unshakeable belief that no family should have to receive the news that their loved one won’t be returning home from a day’s work.”