Sparwood recreation survey results

The District of Sparwood recently conducted a survey amongst residents to help determine what recreational services are most wanted.

  • Feb. 6, 2016 5:00 p.m.

The District of Sparwood recently conducted a survey amongst residents to help determine what amenities are priorities with respect to replacing the Sparwood Heights tennis courts.

The tennis courts were removed earlier this year after a developer purchased the lot they were on.

Fifty-nine residents participated in the survey, which was active for a three-week period.

The 12-question survey featured questions about what residents would most like to see replace the tennis courts. The most favourable options are to increase the hiking and mountain bike trails, a multi-use sports surface, and a basketball court.

There was a question related to cost of a new recreation amenity. Of those polled, 63 per cent voted in favour of waiting for adequate funds to build the amenity while the remaining 37 per cent said they were in favour of a less preferred option that would fit within the budget.

The District of Sparwood will be hosting two information nights in January and February to review the results and collect additional data.

“We’ll be hosting information nights where we will present the data and we’re looking for additional feedback from the community in respect to the results as well as more feedback on what the residents would like to see as replacement infrastructure,” said Duane Lawrence, Director of Community and Facility Services for the District of Sparwood.

Complete survey results are available on the District of Sparwood’s website.

 

Just Posted

Fernie and RCMP go to court over city log books in fatal ammonia leak probe

Log books center stage in clashing of investigations between the city and RCMP

Peanut Butter Campaign supports local food banks

Both Save On Foods in Fernie and Overwaitea in Sparwood participated in… Continue reading

VIDEO: Explorers uncover Canada’s deepest cave in Fernie

The cave, named Bisaro Anima, was confirmed to have broken the record on New Year’s Day

New Glade ferry enters testing phase

The Glade II will be able to carry heavier loads and will emit less greenhouse gases.

Freezing rain warning in effect for B.C. Southern Interior

Environment Canada issued the freezing rain warning for most of the Southern Interior Tuesday morning

B.C. cougar kitten rescued after mother struck by vehicle

Conservation Officers find home for young kitten found dehydrated and frostbitten near Williams Lake

VIDEO: Thousands join women’s march events across B.C.

Today marks one year since the first Women’s March on Washington

Global accessibility advocate brings efforts home

Fernie has third world accessibility problems, says Cotton

Two Canadians, two Americans abducted in Nigeria are freed

Kidnapping for ransom is common in Nigeria, especially on the Kaduna to Abuja highway

Are you ready for some wrestling? WWE’s ‘Raw’ marks 25 years

WWE flagship show is set to mark its 25th anniversary on Monday

B.C. woman who forged husband’s will gets house arrest

Princeton Judge says Odelle Simmons did not benefit from her crime

Women’s movement has come a long way since march on Washington: Activists

Vancouver one of several cities hosting event on anniversary of historic Women’s March on Washington

Liberals’ 2-year infrastructure plan set to take 5: documents

Government says 793 projects totalling $1.8 billion in federal funds have been granted extensions

Workers shouldn’t be used as ‘pawns’ in minimum wage fight: Wynne

Comments from Kathleen Wynne after demonstrators rallied outside Tim Hortons locations across Canada

Most Read