TV host Jillian Harris says B.C. cab refused to give her ride

The Love It or List It show host asks why B.C. still doesn’t have ridesharing

TV host and designer Jillian Harris has a bone to pick with the lack of ridesharing in B.C. after she says a cab driver wouldn’t give her a ride.

The HGTV Love It or List It Vancouver host took to Instagram Wednesday, telling her fans that she was kicked out of a cab in Coquitlam.

Harris, who’s expecting her second child in October, alleges a driver with Bel-Air Taxi refused ther service from Port Moody to downtown Vancouver due to the distance.

“We got a cab to set… and they got to set and they refused to take me into Vancouver because he just said it was too far,” she said.

The driver offered to give her a ride to a nearby SkyTrain station, she said. “Bel-Air, that’s not cool, you can’t do that.”

Black Press Media reached out to Bel-Air Taxi for comment, but was told the manager was in meetings.

READ MORE: Report paves the way for ride-hailing in B.C.

READ MORE: Uber official says public needs to push for ridesharing in B.C.

A few hours after speaking out, Harris turned her attention to the lack of ridesharing services, like Uber, in the province.

“I can’t believe the amount of stories that I’m getting about cabs refusing people, cabs making people walk, cab drivers falling asleep,” she said.

“People saying cabs refuse people all the time, so I know this has been going on for a long time.”

Premier John Horgan said earlier this year he’s aiming to table ridesharing legislation at the end of the year.

“When can we get Uber? I really feel like that would keep everybody on their toes and there would still be business for everybody,” Harris went on.

“If B.C. isn’t going to allow us to have Uber, then you guys do something about the cab situation, because it could be dangerous if you don’t pick people up or if you refuse people – or in my case I was in the cab and he kicked me out, so come on.”


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Crowsnest Pass RCMP seek help locating missing man

58-year-old Stuart David Duff was last seen on Jan. 6, 2019.

Spike in Jaffray bear calls cause for concern

In 2018 there were 38 calls about bears spotted in the Jaffray area, compared to one call in 2017.

Snow on the way for Elk Valley

Winter weather advisory issued for East Kootenay with up to 15cm of snow expected over the next week

Snow removal still an issue for mobility challenged in Fernie

Disability advocate sees little improvement in sidewalk clearing; City promises to review policy

Sparwood trails community growing

Sparwood Trails Alliance grows trail network, membership; hosting fatbike event February 2

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read