A mine worker is in hospital with first and second degree burns to his arms and face following a fire at Greenhills mine last week.
It is believed coal dust may have ignited while the 49-year-old was using a fire hose to clean inside a dryer at around noon on Tuesday, March 29.
The man is a processing foreman at the mine near Elkford, with 27 years experience.
Marcia Smith, vice president of Corporate Affairs at Teck Coal, said two other people were with him at the time of the accident.
“One employee was injured as a result of a fire inside a dyer,” she said. “The dryer was not operational at the time and was being cleaned.
“A full investigation into the incident is underway, to ensure nothing like this happens again.”
The man is in hospital in Calgary and is expected to make a full recovery.